This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
There’s something about a local library that makes you want to curl up in a corner with a good book and just live there. The smell of old books, crinkling of pages, and quiet whispers of book lovers all in one place make me absolutely giddy.
But did you know the library is so much more than just books? This best kept secret offers quite a few services and activities that are available for free to the public.
Not every weekend has to be filled with expensive outing to the zoo, stadium, or shopping mall. Take a chance on the library and rediscover all the surprising new ways this building serves the community. It’s thrifty, educational, and fun, not to mention it’s perfect for my small budget!
9 FREE Activities You Can Do at the Library
- Join a Book Club. If you’re not already involved in a book club, there is usually one happening at the library, or you’ll find a bulletin board that lists public groups around the area. It might be a chance to read a new book, or discuss an old one!
- Take Your Kids to Storytime. Do something different for the morning or afternoon and go to the library for a story. Sometimes they even have famous authors come for a visit!
- Learn a New Skill. Local craft groups will often meet once a month at the library and anyone is welcome to join. Learn how to knit, quilt, make jewelry, or weave a basket.
- Research Your Family’s History. If you grew up around the area, you’ll find documents to help trace your ancestry. Plus, there’s always fascinating stuff in the archives about your hometown you might not see anywhere else.
- Check Out a DVD. Redbox is pretty cheap, but sometimes you can borrow the exact same film for less. For older movies that aren’t found in those convenient vending machines, visit your library first, before you spring for a Netflix or Amazon Prime membership.
- Check Out an Audio Book. It’s getting harder and harder to find time to sit down and read actual books. Listening to audio books in the car, or on your iPod during a workout is one way to get in more reading time.
- Book a Meeting Room. Most larger libraries have 1 or 2 meeting rooms available for book clubs, presentations, conferences, and local events. It would be the perfect place to host your next “business meeting” or “mom-to-mom” get-together.
- Free Wireless. In this internet age, it almost seems impossible to not to be connected. If you need a change of scenery, or want to avoid a home internet bill, consider using the library!
- Free eBooks. Amazon Prime lets you borrow one free eBook a month, but what if you want to read more? Browse your library’s database of eBooks and check one out right on your computer. All you need to do is download to one of your devices and enjoy during the loan period.
Your local library is more valuable than you think! Get out there, utilize one of these services, and start enjoying the free benefits of one of the greatest buildings in your town.
What do you love most about your local library?
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Read my full disclosure policy here.