This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Have you noticed the term Hygge popping up here, there, and everywhere?
If you haven't yet, you will soon.
It's kind of like when you buy a light blue VW, and suddenly one appears around every corner of your neighborhood. Crazy how that happens, right? It's not that your type of car has invaded your city, only that your awareness has.
The same thing is happening with Hygge.
While Hygge is a Danish term that's been around for a good long while, it's just now gaining traction all over the world.
Hygge is the next Marie Kondo craze, if you will, and in a crazy, fast-paced life where people are more and more desperate for simpler things, I expect the adoption of this trend will only get bigger.
I've been there, desperate for simple. I've felt the hustle too.
After years of late nights building this blog to a point of financial stability, I look back at the hundreds of missed moments because I've been so focused on that constantly moving finish line.
The truth is—there is no finish line. There's no destination. There's no “I've made it and there's nothing left to do.”
There's only the journey.
And I want that journey to be filled with joy and meaningful moments and appreciation for how far I've come, not how far I have to go. I want to be PRESENT—my guiding word for 2018.
So what are some practical ways you can fit more Hygge into your life?
Here are a few ideas:
1. Bring out the candles. Then actually light them. Create a cozy atmosphere with soft lighting. If you're looking for an excuse to splurge, this Anthropologie candle has THE BEST fragrance. Hint: it's slightly cheaper if you get it from Amazon!
2. Slip on a pair of fuzzy socks to give your feet maximum coziness and warmth.
3. Put your phone on Do Not Disturb. I've been implementing a strict 9pm screen-free time for the past few weeks and this one simple habit has helped me fall asleep so much quicker!
4. Settle in with your favorite cuppa'. I don't drink coffee, so Moroccan Mint Green Tea is my go-to drink of choice.
6. Huddle around a roaring fire. We don't have a fireplace in our home, but Netflix or YouTube offer a free alternative with crackling sounds that will create a cozy living room in seconds.
7. Host a get-together with loved ones. If you're an introvert like me, you'll love these hosting tips.
8. Snuggle up with a cozy blanket. Keep soft sherpa throws on the backs of couches or in a basket so they are within easy reach.
9. Hide the clutter. Part of shaping a Hygge home is creating a relaxing retreat. Keep surfaces clean to help clear your mind.
10. Make room for special treats. Cake, cinnamon rolls, brownies, and breads are most definitely Hygge. (In moderation, of course, so as not to cancel out those New Year's Resolutions!)
A Danish gal in my Brainbook Community Facebook Group loves practicing Hygge and recently shared her own tips to help us make the most of this cozy trend!
As I've lit more candles around my home, cozied up on the couch surrounded by blankets, and set aside my phone in lieu of conversation, something magical has happened: I've felt happier and more fulfilled.
Instead of wanting, I am learning to appreciate what I have.
It's no wonder Denmark is listed as the happiest country in the world. They've already figured out that life's simplest pleasures are often the most rewarding.
You and I just have to be willing to pursue it.
Have you heard of Hygge before?
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Rest assured, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Read my full disclosure policy here.