- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon or orange extract, optional
- 5 cups, approx, all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups semi-frozen blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange oven rack to middle position.
- Generously spray two standard muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray OR line with paper muffin liners. Place pan on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- In a mixer bowl, blend sugar with oil and butter. Briskly add eggs, vanilla, and other extracts. Fold in 4 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend somewhat before next blending in buttermilk and sour cream. Batter should be quite thick; if not, add a touch more flour. Gently fold in berries with a spatula, trying not to break them apart.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop a very large amount of batter into prepared muffin cups, loading them as full as you can. You need almost a scoop and a half of batter per cup. Dust tops of muffins with a little sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes at 425 F, then reduce oven temp to 350 F and bake until muffins are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed with fingertips, about 12 to 16 more minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.