- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 1 mandarin orange
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
For the Glaze:
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- milk, as required
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and lightly mix. Add butter and pulse until mixture is coarse.
- Place mixture into a bowl and make a well in the center. Add egg, vanilla, orange zest, and buttermilk. Stir with a fork until dough is soft. Stir in cranberries.
- Kneed gently on a lightly floured surface. Then pat with your hands until dough is about 1″ thick. Cut into triangles. Place triangles on the prepared baking sheet, and brush with melted butter. Put the scones in the oven and turn the temperature down to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes, until outside just begins to brown.
- Mix icing ingredients and drizzle over warm scones.
- Prep Time: 12 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: cranberry orange scones, scones