This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
Plus, there are so many variations and possibilities you can try; chex cereal is a blank canvas practically begging me to coat it with something yummy…and preferably chocolate!
After trying a lot of chex mixes over the years, this Chocolate Caramel Chex Mix is now my go-to recipe. It's not as messy as Muddy Buddies (though heaven knows I just LOVE those too!), and it whips up pretty fast. The hardest part is letting everything cool and harden up in the fridge, although truth be told, I'm known to snitch a few before I pop them in there!
Step 1: Microwave brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a large bowl on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute until butter is completely melted. Stir in baking soda until dissolved.
Step 2: Stir both cereals into the sugar/butter mixture, and microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring once every minute. Spread out mix onto a wax paper-lined cookie sheet and let cool 10 minutes. Then break into bite-sized pieces.
Step 3: Microwave each set of chocolate chips in a small bowl on High in 30-second intervals until chocolate can be stirred smooth. Drizzle chocolate over snack.
Step 4: Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store in an airtight container or zip-top bags (if you even have leftovers!).Print
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 4 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips
- Cover cookie sheet with waxed paper. Microwave brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in large microwavable bowl uncovered on High 1-2 min, stirring after 1 min until butter is melted. Stir in baking soda until dissolved.
- Stir in cereals. Microwave on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Spread on cookie sheet. Cool 10 minutes; break into bite-size pieces.
- Microwave chocolate chips separately in two small microwavable bowls on High in 30 second intervals or until chocolate can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over snack.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is set. Store in clear zip-top bags.
Total Cost: $3.88/batch or $.49/serving
If making this for your family instead of a crowd, separate into serving-size portion bags instead of keeping in a large bowl to munch on (though that's great for a get-together or party!). These are great to stock the pantry with and throw into a work or school lunch!
All Your Favorite Recipes in One Place
Instead of spending 10 minutes searching for that one recipe, imagine having all your go-to favorites right at your fingertips! With this simple tool, you'll achieve recipe organization goals, simplify meal planning, and have a family heirloom full of memories to pass down to the next generation.
Ready to bring your dream recipe binder to life?
Do you have a favorite chex mix variation?
– – – – –
Don't miss another one of my favorite party snacks:
Disclosure: Some of the links in the post above are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. Read my full disclosure policy here.